You don’t have to deprive yourself completely and stick to only salad the whole holiday season to stay trim. There actually are a few healthy foods that are easily found during this time of year. These hearty foods can actually aid your metabolism and ability to burn calories. From Eating Well magazine, here are some healthy holiday foods you want to steer towards when you can’t get those Christmas cookies off of your mind.
- Pistachios: As one of the leaner nuts, pistachios are a good source of protein.
- Wine: In moderate amounts, alcohol has been proven to help women manage weight.
- Dark chocolate: About two squares of dark chocolate a day can keep the sweet cravings away.
- Pomegranates Juice: Rich in antioxidants, pomegranate juice is even good for controlling cholesterol.
- Dark Leafy Greens: Swiss chard, kale or collards are all great sources of folate and vitamin A, C and K.
- Citrus Fruit: Oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit are loaded with vitamin C.
- Squash: Butternut, acorn, delicata and spaghetti squash are all low in calorie and high in vitamin A and C.