Do you ever wonder why your skin gets so dry in the winter? There are lots of reasons why skin loses moisture. As we get older, our skin produces less oil, which means we can’t retain water on our skin as you once could. Besides genetics and getting older, there are environmental reasons why skin gets so dry.
One of the main reasons is Low Humidity in the air. Though Old Man Winter is the one to blame for most climate-related dry skin problems, turning on the heating systems is like blow drying your skin. For some people, the problem is worse than just a general tight, dry feeling: They get skin so dry it results in flaking, cracking and an accentuation of fine lines and wrinkles which makes us look older.
- Moisturize More: as weather conditions change, so to should your skin care routine.
- Apply Sunscreen: Winter sun, combined with snow glare can still damage your skin.
- Hook Up the Humidifier: Humidifiers get more moisture in the air, which helps prevent your skin from drying out.
- Harvest the Healing Power of Honey: Honey is a time-tested cure for chapped, cracked lips. Apply a little organic honey in the evening and wake up to smooth, yummy lips. This trick also works to soothe cracked heels and rough elbows
- Treat Your Skin from the inside out: A diet rich in magnesium, essential fatty acids, vitamin C, and beta-carotene naturally feeds your skin from inside and makes it less prone to dryness.
- Be Cool: Take lukewarm or cool showers. This may not sound very appealing if you like lounging in the hot steam, but your skin will thank you. Hot water draws out skin’s valuable oils, which will dry out your skin.
- Seek a Specialist: If you go to your local drugstore, it’s hard put to find a salesperson who can give you good advice. That’s why going to a professional is a good investment. Such a specialist can analyze your skin type, troubleshoot your current skin care regimen, and give you advice on the skin care products you should be using.
All of these tips are excellent to help keep your skin from drying out and unfortunately none of them will help to get rid of those fine lines or wrinkles that appear naturally as we age. You see as we age skin cells divide more slowly, and the inner layer, called the dermis, begins to thin.
There are other factors at work as well. Elastin and Collagen fibers, which are the major structural proteins in the skin that support the outer layer and allow the skin to stretch, loosen and unravel, causing depressions on the surface. So the skin loses its elasticity, is less able to retain moisture, oil-secreting glands are less efficient and the skin is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles.
Complimentary Skin Care Analysis
The key to your best results, is knowing which of the many available options will work best for you. Skin Moisturizers, facial creams and fillers can solve a lot of problems that both women and men have with dryness, fine lines and wrinkles.
Millions of women, and men now are wanting to reverse the signs of aging as well, are using these products to keep their skin hydrated and using fillers to help remove fine lines and wrinkles to give the skin back its youthful appearance. There are numerous products to choose from and not all may be right for your particular situation. Sometimes you need a combination of these products for the best results and this is where a trained specialist can provide the best answers that will give you the look you want.
For a Complimentary Skin Care Analysis just call us at (913) 327-7175 today!
Remember…Aging Is Optional!
Kathleen Stegman, Ed.D, R.N.
P.S. Don’t Forget About Our Patient Referral Contest and You Could Be My Guest In Las Vegas For A Get-Away Weekend! For Details Go To www.LookMyBest.net/refer-a-friend