Many people have unwanted hair. It’s common on the upper lip, chin, cheeks, back, legs, even fingers and toes. It can have many causes, including genetics and certain medications. But one thing is for sure – it’s very unattractive no matter where it is!
There are several ways to remove unwanted hair. But with most methods, at least some of the hair will eventually grow back. Let’s take a look at a few of those methods and the pros and cons of each.
- Shaving. Shaving is best for leg, arm, and facial hair, but it can cause ingrown hairs. One downside is the occasional cut or small rash caused by irritation of the skin.
- Plucking. Plucking or tweezing can be painful, but it may be a good option if you only have a few hairs you want to remove. Times when you might want to pluck include when you’re reshaping your eyebrows or pulling out a few stray hairs that appear on your face. You should not, however, use this hair removal method for large areas. It can cause ingrown hairs or scarring.
- Depilatory Creams. Hair removal creams, also known as depilatory creams, are available without a prescription. They’re not all the same, so be sure to read the label. The chemicals in these products dissolve the hair shaft. Using a cream improperly – for instance, leaving it on too long – can burn your skin. If you have a history of allergic reactions, you should first test a little bit of the cream on a small area to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction to it. Be sure to follow the directions on the cream.
- Hot Waxing. You can do this at home or you can have it done by a professional in a salon. Hot waxing can be messy and painful and may leave some hairs behind because they can break off. Infection is one side effect to watch for. If the wax is too hot, you may get a burn.
- Laser Hair Removal. This is one of the longest-lasting methods and one of the most commonly done cosmetic procedures. It beams highly concentrated light into hair follicles. Pigment in the follicles absorb the light and destroys the hair. Lasers are useful for removing unwanted hair from the face, leg, arm, underarm, bikini line, and other areas.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal include:
- Precision. Lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Speed. Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a quarter every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, and large areas, such as the back or legs, may take up to an hour.
- Predictability. Ninety percent of patients have permanent hair loss after an average of three to five sessions.
If you’re not happy with shaving, tweezing, or waxing to remove unwanted hair, laser hair removal may be an option worth considering. We’ve been performing this procedure for over 16 years and we’ve got FANTASTIC pricing!
If you’d like a complimentary consultation just request an appointment online or call our office today and let’s remove that unwanted hair for good!!